Training for foster families on “Working with children with special/specific needs” was held in Lisbon, Portugal, from February 27th to March 3rd, 2023. The hosts of the training were the Portuguese partners from Instituto de Apoio à Criança (IAC).
The training started with a brief presentation of IAC, as well as a presentation of the foster families.
During the week the following subjects were addressed:
- Foster Care in Portugal.
- The role of foster families: Competencies and success in Foster Care.
- Management and promotion of Children’s and Youth’s needs and well-being.
- Management and promotion of Children’s and Youth’s relationships with others.
- Management of personal competencies and emotions as a Foster Family/Caregiver.
- The challenges of Children in Foster Care: What to expect from the unexpected?
The theoretical presentation was complemented by a workgroup and several videos to encourage reflection and debate.
On the last day certificates confirming participation in the training were handed out.
All participants rated this training as very good and gave positive feedback.